[Gllug] SMC 7401BRA

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 18 12:34:24 UTC 2003

On Fri 18 Apr, Gerald Keen wrote:
> Alistair,
>

> to assign the first public IP to the router and the second public IP to a firewall on
> the inside.
>
> How did you set up the barricade to work without NAT to pass all IP traffic through to
>  the second public IP (the firewall)?

   I have not yet tried it, but have been told that the router does require
an external and an internal IP address, but they do not need to be publicly
addressable IP addresses so can be selected from the private address ranges.
The SuSE box would require an officially allocated IP address, and the
RADIUS authentication system should be able to cope with the additional
addresses on power-up.
   There may be a problem if the resident software in the router needs to be
upgraded at any time, the router may need to use an officially allocated
address for the duration of the upgrade proceedure, using NAT and M$ based
software if necessary.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk