[Gllug] SFTP Server

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 19:05:58 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 12:14, John Hearns wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 11:37, Tethys wrote:
>
> > still only telnet to. The access servers in particular are used for
> > console level access to all our production servers, and hence will
> > typically have root passwords being entered. Like you suggest, the
> > only sensible solution is an access box in each cabinet to which you
> > can ssh, and then get to the relevant box via a serial line.
>
> The posh phrase for this is "Out of Band Management"
> But you knew this already :-)

I tend to think of it as "Out of sensible price range Management" :-)

> I suppose another way to do out of band management would be to use
> VLANs.
> Create a VLAN which doesn't route to anywhere else, and put your
> management station on that.

You're still up a creek if a switch actually fails or something. Out of
band management sounds great until you realise to do it properly you
effectively need two entirely separate physical networks, with separate
network hardware, and preferably with separate power supplies.

If I was running an ISP I'd shell out, but at a charity, the budget
issues are a consideration....

> I remember way back when, I actually did do this on an ATM network.
> I can't remember if I finally put it into production, but I did put up
> an ATM style VLAN and put the management station (HPUX workstation) on
> that. ATM makes that kinda easy, as the adapter can be on several VLANs.

I could try it on the basis that it's better than nothing, I suppose. A
separate IP address range for the switches, and IP aliasing on the mgmt
station would probably achieve the required effect...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk