[Gllug] Convertng a disk (regular) file to a named pipe

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 23:52:54 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 23:36, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 April 2003 23:07, Simon A. Boggis wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 22:35, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>
> Why is it not a named pipe? I may well have got the nomeclture wrong (this is
> a genuine question), but this:
>
> http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?named+pipe
>
> suggests that I haven't afaics.

Your reading of the page is correct. The page is somewhat misleading
though. Pipes are also called FIFOs (first in, first out), and are
usually created on the filesystem with the mkfifo command.

The mknod command is used to create block or character device nodes,
which are interfaces to device drivers in the kernel. However, mknod can
create named pipes, though mkfifo cannot create device nodes.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk