[Gllug] Linux for Mac

John Levin johnlevin at btopenworld.com
Sat Apr 26 00:27:24 UTC 2003

On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 02:19  pm, Jim Bailey wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 10:58:10AM +0100, North London John wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to install linux on my G3 CRT iMac. Has anyone on this list
>> have
>> experience of doing so on this type of box? What distro is best? Which
>> has the best documentation?
>>
>> (rant)
>> Please don't say Mandrake. It is wretchedly bug-ridden and virtually
>> undocumented.
>> (/rant)
>
> I am _now_ happily using Gentoo PPC 1.4 but don't ;)
>
> Yellow dog I have heard some good things about Debian is well supported
> and is well supported with howtos on the Linux PPC site.
>
> Peace Jim

I'm going to rise to the challenge here. :)

I've read about the difficulties - for a newbie - when installing
Gentoo (not to mention the time it takes to compile all the apps).
But, how much will I learn by trying? (I've got nothing from failed GUI
installations of RedHat and Mandrake, but learnt quite a bit from a
partial Debian x86 install (and even more from installing Debian under
the watchful eye of a master at the Gllug installfest.))

It'll be time well spent if I get something out of it - even if not a
working linux installation.

Frankly, I think that if I don't expect Gentoo to work straight off,
it'll be less stressful than waiting for mandrake/yellow dog to fsck up
my sound. And the experience will bring me one step closer to becoming
a l33t h4X0r, (Joke! Joke!)

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk