[Gllug] ADSL modem / routers

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Tue Apr 15 22:14:11 UTC 2003

In message <E195VaC-0001lR-00 at cerberus.uk.clara.net>, Andrew Richardson
<ahrichardson at clara.net> writes
>I am considering going broadband.  Does anyone have any recommendations or
>experience with external ADSL modem + router devices.  I am looking to
>connect only 3 boxes or so to a fixed IP and do not need wireless.

I'm using a Solwise SAR715 which has four 10/100 ports and will cost you
about £100. It has good reviews and I've had no problems with it.

I do have problems with the Solwise microsplitters, and I'd suggest that
you get the filter/splitter from elsewhere.

>From what I have seen in the shops, the D-Link and Netgear ones are the most
>common though the US Robotics seems good too.  Do any of them actually have
>"reasonably good" security ?  Are there any affordable linux or BSD based
>ones ?

You could use IPCop as a proxy-server/router and an external USB modem.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com
www.diversebooks.com: SF & Computing book reviews and more.....