[Gllug] SFTP Server

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Thu Apr 10 11:14:29 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 11:37, Tethys wrote:

> still only telnet to. The access servers in particular are used for
> console level access to all our production servers, and hence will
> typically have root passwords being entered. Like you suggest, the
> only sensible solution is an access box in each cabinet to which you
> can ssh, and then get to the relevant box via a serial line.

The posh phrase for this is "Out of Band Management"
But you knew this already :-)

I suppose another way to do out of band management would be to use
VLANs.
Create a VLAN which doesn't route to anywhere else, and put your
management station on that.

I remember way back when, I actually did do this on an ATM network.
I can't remember if I finally put it into production, but I did put up
an ATM style VLAN and put the management station (HPUX workstation) on
that. ATM makes that kinda easy, as the adapter can be on several VLANs.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk