[Gllug] British Postal Codes

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 17:15:21 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:56:41PM +0100, Doug Winter wrote:
> On Fri 08 Aug Tethys wrote:
> > Nope. Looks like a genuine question to me. However, I've noticed an
> > increase in useless spam of late. No, I mean *really* useless. More
> > so than normal spam. I've been getting some that just consist of
> > a random bunch of words (in HTML, or course). It's like someone's
> > written a program to pick random lines from /usr/share/dict/words,
> > and stick them in an email to me. The most perplexing thing is that
> > there's no breast/penis enlargement, investment opportuntiy, access
> > to sex sites or reinforced conrete that I'm meant to be buying. I'm
> > confused as to how they expect to get money out of mailing me, when
> > they don't even provide contact details...
> >
> > Anyone else seen this?
>
> Yep.  The best theory I've heard is that they are testing and/or
> breaking spam filters.  Seems remarkably prescient of the evil spamXors,
> but maybe some of them are smart.
>
> Does seem difficult to see wtf else they could be - the html is clean
> apart from the random words...

Yes: but if everyone using a baysian filter marks these things, that
contain innocent words, as spam we will start rejecting good mail because
the filter becomes 'poisoned' ... and give up on baysian filters... which
means that their cr*p starts flowing through again :-(

Just a thought.

We must credit some of these people with a brain (unfortunately), there are
bound to be a few cash strapped good coders for whom this would be interesting.

Now: which GLUUGers do I know that lack cash ..... :-)

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk