[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Mon Aug 11 16:49:14 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 17:34, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
> >... or going the wrong way up one-way streets, or racing along pedestrian only
> >footpaths, or hurtling arbitrarily into traffic without signalling....

These people do my head in. They shouldn't be licensed, taxed or
insured. They should have their legs taken away from them until they
learn to behave.

> >They should be licenced, taxed and properly insured!
> >
> So should pedestrians, I cycle 30 miles a day across London and
> pedestrians cross when the lights tell them not to, they stand in the
> cycle lanes, trying to avoid traffic and run out in front of buses,
> having just dismounted the bus.  I think all people that walk on the
> pavements should have large identifying plates on their back and should
> be banned from leaving the house if they hold up too much traffic while
> crossing roads etc. :-)

I do all of these. Unlike other pedestrians, though, I tend to look
where I'm going, understanding that a) I don't want to be hit by a car
because I may end up dead and b) I don't want to be hit by a cyclist
because I may end up hurt.

I also cycle, but then I follow the rules and stick to the roads (minor
exceptions, but never when its busy, and always with eyes wide open)

Matthew