[Gllug] Dying hard disk

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 19:33:07 UTC 2003

Richard Jones wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:15:58PM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    Several people have reported that the best tool is a fridge, dump as many
> > files as possible before it warms again, repeat until done.
>
> On a related topic, I found the best tool for fixing a disk which was
> "sticky" at start up was a fairly hefty tap with a hammer.

Dropping it from a carefully calculated distance (about 2.5") was what
an IBM engineer once told me.

IBM used to make quite a lot of disks which stuck if powered down after
a lengthy period of activity (years). The surfaces were covered with a
very thin layer of protective goo which would eventually migrate to the
edge, where the heads parked on power down.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk