[Gllug] A local nameserver for samba clients

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann TSCHUTZER-WEISSMANN at ofsted.gov.uk
Wed Dec 3 15:25:24 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying out a samba printer share as a way of automating the creation of pdf reports, and I want to let any host on the Windows network to connect as a guest. Samba is running on a small, fixed subnet.

I wondered if, instead of using the main network nameservers, I could have one running on the samba server that would give a dummy hostname for any IP address within a certain range. Samba won't clients connect if Gethostbyaddress fails for them.

Is this possible, or just plain stupid?

Tom SW

We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage
sustained as a result of software viruses. It is your
responsibility to carry out such virus checking as is necessary before opening any attachment to
this message.

The information in this email and any files transmitted with
it may be of a confidential nature and is intended solely for
the addressees. If you are not the intended addressee, any
disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and
may be unlawful.

www.ofsted.gov.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk