[Gllug] mechanical KVM switches

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Dec 23 17:47:42 UTC 2003

Evenin,

The older ones that support AT keyboards are fairly safe, if you are using ps/2
then i have found that alot of early pentium/pentium2 class machines hate
loosing the keyboard on ps2 and sometimes hang, best advice i can give is give
it a dry run, if it is fine for 2 or three machine changes then the machine
should handle it ok,

mechanically, they are all prone to the slight electrical noise from the
switching and you might even find you get an odd char or mouse movment
occasionally. Here we are running 3 machines from 2 (2 input) kvms that are
chained together, its fairly messy but none of the machines mind that much, the
biggest hastle is a winnt4 machine booting without a mouse :-p (who cares)

Ian

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 10:23:25AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have used a mechanical KVM switch to select from 4 computers with 1
> monitor but have never used the keyboard and mouse selections. Most versions
> of BIOS allow keyboard errors to be ignored, but I do not want to take risks
> with the computers. Are these switches safe to use?
>
> --
> Chris Bell
>
> --

----- Message of the Hour ------