[Gllug] Any PPP gurus?

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Dec 30 09:46:38 UTC 2003

Andrew Morton's list of caveats on the 2.6.0 release said (see LKML):
>   + The 2.6.0 kernel has undergone several weeks of stabilization
>     and we expect it to run well on server-class machines.
>
>     Desktops and laptops may have more trouble at this time because of
>     the much wider range of hardware and because of as-yet
>     unimplemented fixes for the hardware and BIOS bugs from which
>     these machines tend to suffer.

He also provided a list of areas which are known-to-be-bad, including
scheduling small workloads, ATA RAID, frame buffers, readahead and
cryptoloop.  A lot of these are fixed in the -mm tree, so you may be
better using that.

There is just too much flaky hardware out there, and so many important
changes from 2.4 to 2.6, that some stuff just isn't going to work.  So,
go ahead and try it, just make sure you know the email addresses to
report bugs to :)

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"If Darl McBride was in charge, he'd probably make marriage
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk