[Gllug] DNS and SMTP Problem

Simon Morris simon.morris at westbourne-terrace.com
Mon Dec 1 10:23:43 UTC 2003

----QUOTE----
I have converted my office Internet connectivity from
ISDN to Broadband recently. The linux clients on the
network cannot send emails but able to down load
emails from the POP server.
[...]
I am getting broadband from an ISP different to the
one hosting my email server and web server.Could this
be the problem?
----UNQUOTE----

I would guess so. From what you have said it sounds like your clients were
using your ISPs SMTP server to relay mails to the internet.

As you have change provider you are now connecting to the relay from a
different IP address, and you are being blocked due to relay restrictions.

Try changing your clients SMTP settings to either connect to your new
providers SMTP server, or provide your own.

SM
(Apologies for the retarded quoting style)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk