[Gllug] webcams on linux

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 10:51:53 UTC 2003

Tethys wrote:
> Sean Burlington writes:
>

>>>I fai to see how that page changes any of the disadvantages of binary
>>>modules/drivers. My email was in response to a particular point:
>>
>>sorry - I thought you were discussing webcams on Linux, in which case
>>(for the driver I am most familiar with) your statements are incorrect
>>
>>points 1 and 2 assert a dependance on the maufacturer which does not
>>exist in this case
>

> Yes it does. If the module loading scheme changes yet again (and it
> seems to be doing so every week or so, these days :-), then there's
> every chance that the pwcx module won't work, at which point, you'll
> just have to wait until the vendor releases an updated version. Or is
> the webcam still usable without that module?

first of all - if I haven't made it clear yet - I agree that open source
is good (do I really need to say it on this list?)

I was just trying to say that this particular case is better than your
average binary-only situation.

mainly because its not the manufacturer/vendor who releases the module

it is instead done by a member of the open source community (much of
this project is covered by the gpl) who is much more responsive to
kernel changes than your average manufacturer.

the webcam *is* still usable with pure gpl code (as I said it worked out
of the box with a standard debian kernel)

But maybe having a binary only compression module removes the impetous
behind a fully gpl solution ... or maybe not ...

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk