[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Wed Feb 12 12:26:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:17:49PM +0000, Doug Winter wrote:
> On Wed 12 Feb Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> > > Perl's "write only" nature immediately rules it out as a
> > > serious language for implementing a project, IMHO.
> >
> > What do you mean by this statement?
>
> It's impossible to read perl.  This is why I've stopped using it
> completely.  Even my own code confuses the hell out of me.

ISTR Larry Wall once saying that there's many things you can optimise for,
including maintainability.  About 99% of perl code I have seen is not
optimised for maintainability - in fact the language seems to discourage it
in every feature.  IMO, C++ is similar, and FWIW, I agree with Tet's
comments completely (except for the claim regarding Java's performance).

Pete
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/