[Gllug] Email clients and IMAP

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Sun Feb 23 15:39:42 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 13:57, Andrew Black wrote:
> Hi
> I am pondering which email client to use on Linux.  To date I am using
> Evolution as it happens to be there on my machine.   There was some
> suggestion that it is better to store mail in a way that is independent
> of the client, and serve it via IMAP.  Also  I would like to be in a
> possition where my mail is available via a command line client (so I can
> telnet/ssh from other machines around the house and read/send mail).

Ok, theres a number of ways to do it, here is the way we use.

I normally use evolution to check my mail, but sometimes mutt on both
remote clients, and the server.

Server1:

courier-imap with ssl layer
MTA
mutt

Server2:
courier-imap

server1 allows connections to the ssl server from anywhere but only
local connections to lesser secure server. SMTP connections are allowed
from local machines only.

Server2 only allows local connections

I have a script which sets up the following

ssh tunnel into server 2 forwarding port 143 of my laptop to port 143 of
server 2

ssh tunnel which forwards port 25 from my laptop to port 25 of server1

evolution is set up to recieve mail from server1 using secure imap, and
localhost using normal imap.

all smtp is sent from localhost on port 25

I can also log into the servers and use mutt, or pine or whatever to
check my maildirs there too.

here are the magic ssh commands

ssh -C -L 143:localhost:143 user at host.com

ssh -C -L 25:localhost:25 user at host.com