[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

rich at annexia.org rich at annexia.org
Wed Feb 12 08:59:30 UTC 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:47:06PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> As far as I can see, Java offers everything useful that .NET provides,
> without the risk. IMO, it's preferable to persuade people to cde in Java
> than for .NET, if they would like any sort of portability.

Except for two major problems:

* Java is almost the worst possible language for implementing a project.
  I would never recommend it for new projects, at least not while
  superior quality alternatives exist like Perl, Python, CAML, etc.
  Among the current hassles I'm having: lack of closures, checked
  exceptions, lack of type safety in containers, verbose and clumsy
  imports, no regexps in the language, and it's sloooowwwwwwwwwww.

* There is no high-quality free-as-speech development environment for Java.
  We're reliant on the generosity of Sun and IBM. Hopefully gcj and
  related projects will fix this in the future, but why bother when
  other better languages are available with free implementations right
  now.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London, UK) http://www.redhat.com/software/ccm