[Gllug] Really OT: FreeBSD

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Sun Feb 2 05:22:18 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 16:55, Andy McGarty wrote:
> > I have a Siemens Primergy box here, and it just won't boot some cd's, I've
> > tried RH 7.3, FreeBSD, Windows 2000, and Windows 98, and Mandrake 9, and
> the
> > only one which boots is Mandrake, any ideas. With all the others the
> moment
> > it tries to read the cd I get the error:
> > "Read Error".

Older cdrom drives (at a guess, those of the "4x" era) sometimes can't
read either CDRWs or some of the "colours" of CDRs (the early low-speed
green/blue seemed to be better than the later green or black for me).
This could explain some of the boot failures. All pressed (silver) CDs
ought to work though, such as Windows disks, unless your drive is
flakey.

I've seen a laptop or two at work which refused to boot off CD, but
would boot after a "reset bios to defaults". That might be worth a try.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk