[Gllug] Bad websites

David Pashley david at parguild.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 09:29:14 UTC 2003

David Damerell said, and I quote:
> On , 21 Feb 2003, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> >I hadn't seen this until one of my users at work pointed it out to me -
> >go to www.marksandspencer.com with Moz, Opera, Netscape 7+, and you get
> >a silly "unsupported browser" page. While they're hardly the only site
> >designed by idiots, they do have one of the more brain-damaged redirects
> >around. Particularly ironic is that they support Netscape 6, but not 7,
> >or Moz.
>
> And if you stop it before the redirect it actually works with a subset
> of the unblessed browsers, I am informed.

I am quickly gaining a list of sites to use in konqueror's browser
identification dialog. I don't know about Mozilla, but konqueror allows
you to set your browser identification on a per site basis. Not only
does it change the http headers, but also any javascript stuff too.

I have not yet found a site which uses these tricks which have not then
worked when fooled by konqueror.

--
David Pashley
david at davidpashley.com