[Gllug] Error 23 booting

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Feb 13 11:02:00 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:31:26AM +0100, Norman wrote:

> Related to my  .... previous threads "operation" and "audio conflict"
> my system has been grinding to a halt totally ... no audio at all ...
> slower than ever set up and running.
>
> There is difinitely a hosting name problem ie
> it sets up hostname linux on installation then sometime later in setting
> up the adsl sets unit0 as host.
> And I see it saying host bad at various points.

OK, that's one problem.  I assume you have an ADSL modem connected and
have configured a PPOA connection to your ISP.  This connection has been
misconfigured and is replacing the original hostname with a new one.
That in turn is confusing the many applications on your system which
require the network settings to be properly configured.

> After trying to tinker with my system, following some of the advice from
> here, last night.(I don`t know what I did) .... it has stopped
> completely.
>
> This morning on trying to boot up (Suse 8.1) I get:
>
>      kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 hdc=ide-scsi vga=nil
>      max_scsi_luns=1
>        [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=1078c4]
>
>      Error 23: Error while parsing number

I don't know what kind of advice you can have been getting that required
you to edit the Grub configuration settings but you've left them in an
incorrect state.  This means that Grub can't boot to your standard
set-up.  Do you know how to use the Grub menus or cli interface to
rescue this?

No offence, but I think that whatever combination of external advice and
personal inspiration you followed has left your machine in a mess that
is slightly beyond your current skill levels.  You should probably stop
fiddling with it and get someone to have a look at it and fix the
booting problem (make sure they show you how they do that).

--
Bruce

I must admit that the existence of Disneyland (which I know is real)
proves that we are not living in Judea in AD 50. -- Philip K. Dick