iBook software modem (was: [Gllug] Linux vs Mac resident graphics and DTP?)

Matt Amos matt.amos at ic.ac.uk
Tue Jan 14 04:35:54 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:34:26AM +0000, Ian Northeast wrote:
> North London John wrote:
> > Ugh. That's a nasty surprise.
> > Is it just the iBook modems that are sabotaged, or does this apply to
> > all Mac Modems?

i have a  nasty feeling its all of them since spring last year...

> There appears to be a modem or an apology for such in the machine, as
> there is a telephone connector (RJ11, US style), but I cannot get any
> joy out of it from either cu or minicom. Trying to access ttyS0-3 all
> result in "no such device". So either I have missed something, or it is
> indeed a software modem - the term "winmodem" does not seem quite
> appropriate:) The telephone connector isn't connected to anything, but
> if there were a real modem there it should still be possible to connect
> to it and get a response from "AT".

it gets worse: on the iBook there is no ttyS* devices, and no indication
of usb modems either. however, when one of the lines on the i2c bus is
triggered a usb device gets 'plugged in'. from the description it is a
modem, but it doesnt conform to ACM and in Mac OS X the driver for it is
~300K, so i think its very likely its a software modem.

> BTW I have never experienced a soft modem on a PC. Is the behaviour I
> describe - apparant total absence of serial port - what would be
> expected?

yes, the serial port would only appear after the driver had been loaded
and downloaded its firmware code to whatever the software modem chip is.

cya,

matt

--
"Only the educated are free." -- Epictetus

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk