[Gllug] Sun SparcStations

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Jan 10 14:08:56 UTC 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 13:43, Tethys wrote:
> Dylan writes:
> >Now, I notice the monitor socket is significantly different from the PC
> >'standard' type: are they compatible, given a converting cable, or is
> > using a PC monitor a non-starter? Likewise for the keyboard.
>
> I use a 13W3 -> 4BNC converter cable on mine without problems. Not sure if
> you can get a 13W3 -> VGA.

Excellent, I've got a monitor with BNC's knocking around somewhere in the
loft.

>As for keyboards, I think you're probably out of
> luck. I know there are various KVM switches that support both PC and Sparc
> outputs, but they're very expensive, and you'll probably stuggle to find
> one any more. A genuine Sun keyboard can be picked up on ebay for pennies,
> though.
>
> But as Chris says, just use a serial console. Virtually all of my Sparc
> boxen are headless, accessed via the network and/or serial console.

That's what I was thinking for day-to-day, but for the initial install? Is
that possible? How would I go about that?

> >I was thinking one could be pressed into service as a gateway (with pkt
> >filter/mail relay/squid...)
>
> The SparcStation 4 and 5 would make an ideal firewall, with one exception.
> They only have a single network port, and SBUS NICs are somewhat pricey.

Ah ha! The 5 has a second network port.

> I used to use my 4 as a file/print server, until I upgraded my network to
> 100baseT, when it became more cost effective to replace it with an x86
> machine than it was to get it a faster network card...

Since it's feeding a 512 ADSL line, 10baseT is plenty...

Cheers
Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation