OT: Joke (was Re: [Gllug] Universities and degrees in computing.)

Matt Amos matt.amos at ic.ac.uk
Mon Jan 6 15:36:05 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:06:35AM +0000, chris.wareham at btopenworld.com wrote:
> Funny thing is, after settling in at my first programming job I became
> part of the interview team for prospective new programmers. I then found
> out that company policy was to turn down all new college leavers point
> blank regardless of their computing qualifications. Experience showed
> that such candidates were ill prepared for life in the "real world"
> having been taught too much esoteric theory and bugger all practical
> stuff.

1) need experience to get a job
2) need job to get experience

hmmm... the only way out is to part-time it when at uni (but even then,
the amount of experience is probably not enough) or take a succession of
"EXP building" jobs that you have no intention of staying in.

it doesnt seem like the way to go about building employee morale and
loyalty...

cya,

matt

PS: i'm available from july for numerical & simulation work! almost new,
recent service, no rust. see http://www.matt-amos.uklinux.net/about/me/cv.html
;)

--
"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We
don't believe this to be a coincidence." 	-- Jeremy S. Anderson

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk