[Gllug] Remote Viewing of a program running on a local terminal

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Tue Jan 28 16:24:22 UTC 2003

"Calvin la Cock" writes:

>If I have a program running on say Linux on terminal 1. Is there a
>way that I can see that exact screen ( terminal ) as it is on the
>local computer , if I sit halfway around the world and try and access
>that pc remotely. I need a way to be able to check the status of
>software running non-locally.

In general, no, unless you do some preparatory setup work before you
start up the program. If it's a text only program, then you can run
it under xkibitz. If it's a graphical app, then you probably need to
be running something like VNC. In theory, you may be able to do it
for an already running program by looking at the tty device, but
that's pretty hairy stuff.

You can, for example, find out on which pseudo terminal your program
is running, and then "cat /dev/pts/NN", which will show you what the
user is typing at that terminal. Unfortunately, it'll also prevent
the program running on that terminal from receiving the input :-)

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk