[Gllug] apache ssl

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Jan 15 09:51:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Leigh Mason wrote:

> Would anyone have any idea how I could pass https requests from a front
> end apache web server to a back end one?
<snip>
> Currently, a request for: http://www.virtualhost1/home.html  will be
> successfully retrieved from: backendserver/home.html But would it be
> possible to pass a request for https://www.virtualhost1/secure.html to
> backendserver/secure.html?
>
> I'm not even sure whether I need any SSL configuration on the front end
> apache server at all?

You need the server that the client talks to directly to support ssl as
otherwise all it will see is an encrypted stream it has no way to
understand.

Do you need encryption between the front end server and the back? If not
then your existing solution should work.

If you do need encryption all the way through then I suspect you will end
up having to forward the packets directly through to the relevant server
which rather defeats the purpose of having a front end server in most
cases.

As you've not given any other details of what you are trying to achieve
that's about as much as I can say.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk