[Gllug] seti

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Thu Jan 2 11:30:24 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:07:01AM +0000, Richard Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Stig Brautaset wrote:
>
> > As much as I'd like the setiathome project to succeed (in the sense that
> > they discover ET intelligent life), I'd rather spend my CPU cycles doing
> > cancer research or similar. It probably has more chance of succeeding.
>
> Do any of the 'cancer research or similar' distributed processing projects
> have clients for Linux yet (or Solaris, for that matter)?  Last time I
> looked, it was rc5 or seti - neither of which are particularly 'benefit of
> humanity' type things, IMHO, in the sense that rc5 is proving a point, and
> seti is searching for something which may not be there...

Just a warning but some of the distributed drug/cancer finding software is
being run by private companies who will be taking out patents on their research
so that they can sell the results. You may therefore unwittingly be helping out
people who will make money from this and you will get nothing, and then if you
get cancer in the future be having to pay for the drugs you helped researched
(or even discovered) for you treatment.

IMHO a bad thing, so make sure you read those license agreements carefully!
Adam
--
"Step away from the Cathedral, This Bazaar is loaded"
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk