[Gllug] PC2phone

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Jan 27 16:34:04 UTC 2003

Try Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/).  For not very much money and a low
end machine you can put a phone line anywhere that has a full time (or even
dialup) internet account.  I have friends who have done this with the
following setup:

Scrap PC(tm) : Pentium II 300, 64Mb RAM, 4 Gb HD
WildCard X100 FXO card http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/wildcardx100p.html
($99)
Asterisk PBX
Phone Line: $10 / month in the US.

Using a scrap PC that was just laying around and putting a $100 (~70 GBP)
Wildcard into it turned this little device into a VOIP gateway out to the
real world Telephone System.  Then you can either buy one of these:
http://quicknet.net/products/ipc.htm or a VOIP phone like the SNOM 100
http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5199947519.html and you are live from
anywhere in the world that has a net connection.  These devices usually
don't need much bandwidth so a dialup connection on your end is enough.
Remember that telephone conversation is only about three Kilohertz in
bandwidth so with compression it works very well even full duplex over
anything greater than 28.8.

Andy Farnsworth