[Gllug] The Knoppix Experience

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Tue Jan 21 19:51:12 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 06:33:28PM +0000, Axel Segebrecht wrote:
> I can't believe how easy Knoppix is to install! I've now got two boxes
> running and there are only few, very minor glitches:
>
> - Have to use the boot floppy
> (although Lilo should come up on boot, it doesn't...)
>
> - Apt-Get doesn't work properly
> (easy fix found on knoppix.net/forum)
>
> Plus probably a few others that are not really vital or indeed anything to
> loose sleep over.
>
> I've installed it on my old Elonex BookPC and it identified all the hardware
> without any problems at all (which I find very impressive).
>
> I will certainly try it out on some of my clients in the next few weeks and
> post some more updates if you like :)
>
> Anyone else like to share their experiences?
>
> PS: Using my iBook to write this email since I can't get my X server to
> display at a refresh rate pleasing to the eye (it's consistently running on
> 49x50 and at 16bit color depth). Changing the rates in my XF86Config-4
> doesn't help either. Also, it is refusing to load X when I select any other
> color depth then 16bit... Odd.

It does rock :)

I don't know if you have tried it already but checkout the cheat code
section on knoppix.net there are several options there for sorting out X
my personal favorites are boot: knoppix wheelmouse desktop=fluxbox.

My personal gotcha doing an install booting into fluxbox and finding it
all German.  Fixed by going into kde and looking for a flag icon and
changing the languague to English.  Who says all that eye candy is
bloatware. ;)

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk