[Gllug] BIND

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Jul 8 13:43:31 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 01:41:07PM +0100, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 01:40:37PM +0100, Tethys wrote:
>
> > As I've argued elsewhere, it's not really desirable to do this. Don't
> > mix self compiled stuff with things your distribution supplies. Instead,
> > put it somewhere completely separate (I usr /local for this, for example).
> > You certainly shouldn't be touching /usr.
>
> I'm not sure I think you have to have a firm policy on what you are
> doing

If you don't want to cause conflicts with your distribution's packaging
system then you had best restrict yourself to /usr/local.  It also makes
good sense for many other reasons.  It means you know that your
modifications are limited to a particular branch of the fs, it allows
you to mount /usr/local as a separate partition and so make any number
of administrative disctinctions between the main and "local" software.

>, certainly I repackage some stuff merged with distribution
> with either upstream or custom changes, but I keep a strict package
> only policy.

Ah, that's a bit different.  If you're modifying the source packages
then go ahead and keep the stuff in /usr/bin - presumably you have some
way of identifying which packages you modified.  The original poster,
otoh, seems to have compiled from the tarball.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk