[Gllug] AOL blocking mail from DSL lines (again)

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Tue Jul 8 10:21:26 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 10:26, Richard Jones wrote:
> Situation is this: my dad connects to the internet through a variety
> of different ISPs. So I configured his sendmail to send mail directly
> (not through a smarthost). This has worked fine with everyone until
> very recently when AOL instituted their stupid change in policy. Now

Get used to it, I'm expecting most of the large (800lb gorilla level)
players to implement similar blocks in the next 6-9 months.  From the
ISP point of view DSL lines are a menace due to the regularity with
which they're infected by worms / trojans / just plain insecure.

> he can't go editing /etc/sendmail.cf every time he wants to connect
> through a different ISP. How can I set it up so he can talk to his
> friend on AOL?

Does any of the ISPs he uses support SMTP AUTH?  If so why not route all
his email through that ISP?

Other than that I'm assuming he's on a dialup connection which means
that there's a script being kicked off somewhere to initiate the
connection.  Is it not possible to get sendmail to pick up the smarthost
to use from a file altered by the dialup script or other similar
kludgery.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>      http://www.korenwolf.net/
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather restraints.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk