[Gllug] OT: drive enclosures

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Mon Jul 28 10:36:25 UTC 2003

My tower case (running Linux, so it's slightly on topic at any rate) has
2 stand-alone 3.5" drive bays, 6 5.25" drive bays, and a little
"hang-off" 3.5" drive enclosure which hangs underneath the 5.25" drive
bay enclosure which has 4 slots in it.

At present I have 4 HDDs in the hang-off 3.5" enclosure, and so cooling
is beginning to be a little of a problem - there's no space between
them.  I could solve this by moving a couple of the HDDs into the 5.25"
bays, although then cable length is a bit of an issue (they're IDE).
The alternative would be to hang another 3.5" enclosure underneath the
existing one - there's plenty of room.

Anyone know whether this is a standard part, or whether these things
are case-specific?  Which (on-line) stores sell this kind of thing?

BTW - thanks all for the advice about backup solutions a couple of
weeks back.  I have now purchased an Onstream SC50 internal 50GB
ADR SCSI drive, which seems to work pretty well.

jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk