[Gllug] EU patents

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Mon Jul 7 19:27:28 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:02:02PM +0100, Alistair Mann wrote:

> Thus spaketh Alain Williams on Tuesday 01 July 2003 12:03 pm:
> > On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:50:29AM +0100, Alistair Mann wrote:
> > >
> > > Thus spaketh Formi on Tuesday 01 July 2003 11:20 am:
> > >
> > > Oh dear. Do you think we've still time for a cup of tea?
> >
> > Maybe - but remember how just that request almost killed Ford Prefect &
> > Zaphod.
> >
> > Formi does make the valid point: the biggest international problem at the
> > moment is the uncontrolled US imperialism -- they act in their own best
> > interests. The worrying thing is that they appear to not be able to
> > understand that what is in their best interests is not always in everyone's
> > best interests.
>
> In absolutely no aspect is this any different from what the British did from
> 1750 to 1950, and the world seems to have fared not at all badly.

Explain that too the millions exterminated in the scramble for empire
during the said period, explain that to the starving worker slaughtered
at Peterloo under the direct orders of The Duke of Wellington. Explain
that to the people driven from their homes by the enclosures acts.  On
and on it goes.

Some time back some one published the little black book of communism
which reported 100 million killed by communism, anyone like to hazard a
guess at how many people have been killed by capitalism in the modern
era (post 1793)?

> Sorry to be dismissive but ... er ... I'm going to be dismissive; railing
> against 'US imperialism' is as laughable as it is naive, and is no more than
> pissing in the wind.

Personally I dont mind pissing in the wind if it wasn't for people
pissing in the wind you would still be speaking Latin.  Cup of tea
anyone? ;)

Peace Jim

--
"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of poison gas... I
am strongly in favor of using poison gas against uncivilized tribes...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk