[Gllug] Little machines

David Irvine (Glasgownet) David at glasgownet.com
Wed Jul 23 17:32:54 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 16:53, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> [...]
A nice compromise may be to install a light distro, a simple window
manager with a taskbar and 'start' button, both kde and gnome can be
configured this way but they are quite bulky, i use gnome on a 233 and
its very usable, but its not fast.

You can then install crossover office (Please no flames on gpl forks)
which imho works a treat.  That way you can use something like ximian
evolution for a mail reader, (it looks like office, but without the
security implications) and word/excel/access etc, like it was a windows
machine.

I'm sure somebody else on the list can explain how to get a wm looking
like win2k.

You could also try lindows, i used that in a hotel on holiday and was
very impressed. (Except there was no ssh client)

Hope that helps

David