[Gllug] Persauding the Mrs. To move to Linux..

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 08:42:06 UTC 2003

In general,

Ive found here with my girlie, that as she is is quite computer savvy (and even
once upon a time battled with and won over DOS cdrom device drivers) just like
me, she knows what she wants to do, for my vicki the most annoying thing for
her under linux was the fact that openoffice is a bit rough around the edges
and that if you open your word doc in linux it looks like it a total mess,

but, after a while, and fiddling with gnome2 i got her comfortable using my
laptop, she has extra large fonts set up, and can navigate her way around
happily, she still uses the win2000 pc or her win98 laptop for work and stuff
but now she doesnt hate it,

Linux on the desktop is a reality, but it is by no means at the level (just
yet) that you can say linux as a server has become, you might want to get her
using linux in 'another way'

use it to back up all her files ready for when windows spits the dummy, and use
it as a router system or print server, then she will see its useful and alot
more versatile than windows,

then maybe give it another shot later :-)

Ian

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:28:27PM +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:
> Okay, I'm out of ideas.  I've just recently installed SuSE Linux
> Professional 8.2 on our home machine to completely replace Windows XP.  I
> chose SuSE since  (a) thanks to the nice people at SuSE I've got a freebie
> copy to play with for a while due to their generous LUG offer and (b) it's
> touted as being the one of the most user friendly distributions alongside
> Mandrake.  Me, I'm used to Red Hat for the most part, but I wanted something
> that would enable both my wife and I to get something out of it without too
> much of a learning curve for the wife.
>
> Anyway, I set-up myself and the wife with a login account.  After several
> hours of play, the wife moans about hating Linux and that the fonts are all
> too small within Mozilla and she can't do the same sort of things under
> Linux that she could with Windows.  She then has a go at me for tinkering
> with the computer.
>
> We've now gone back to Windows - anything for the quiet life! :)  The
> question remains - how do I persuade her to stick with it?! :)   I would
> have tinkered with the default font settings to enable her to see things a
> bit better, but she was a bit too impatient.  And no - I'm not getting
> another wife! :)
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Martyn
>

> --