[Gllug] re: SCSI vs IDE

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Tue Jul 29 12:23:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

>At 21:35 28/07/2003, you wrote:
>>Until IDE matches SCSI in the RPM stakes, they will always be the poor
>>man's slower alternative, SATA or not.
>
>This is, for the most part, a myth.  The faster drives are released as SCSI
>first because they manufacturers know that the server market will pay the
>premium.  There's very very little difference between a 10k IDE drive and a
>10k SCSI drive - it's just a case of electronics and an interface.

... and a 10k IDE drive matches a 10k SCSI drive in the rpm stakes, no;)

My point is that IDE drives are slower drives, no matter how fast the
interface, to keep them cheap. We're unlikely to see >15k IDE drives
before SCSI.

Another thing is that SCSI drives, aimed at the server market, generally
have smaller platters as well, to minimize head movement. IDE drives are
generally aimed at mass storage of music and video these days, where
sequential speed can be significant, which is something the cheaper IDE
drives can easily match or beat SCSI drives with.

Though you're right, this is nothing to do with interfaces.

Christian

--
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." -John Morley

    /"\
    / \

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk