[Gllug] Advice on which flavour of Linux to use as a server platform

Ted Bell ted.bell at lineone.net
Thu Jul 24 19:57:31 UTC 2003

Hi, hope it is ok to continue this thread.
I have purchased SME from the emporium. For some reason neither Win2k or WinME
see the server when connected via the ethernet switch. I have also tried
logging on with slackware but for some reason slackware cannot see the
working network card on this (client) machine.

Do I need a client under Windows? In my Novell days I used to load their
client for windows to get over networking problems! I had assumed from the
help files that I jneded to run client for windows.

The only help (if you can call it help) from Mr Gates mob was to load service
pack three. Unfortunatly that caused several other problems such as loosing
all my Windows applications and my dial up connections, same old story.

Also, is there any way of polling the network card from within
Linux/KDE/Gnome? A graphic solution would be prefered.

Ted

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk