[Gllug] OT : Credit cards in a MySQL Database

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Jun 17 11:07:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Calvin la Cock wrote:

> I'm busy developing an e-commerce site that takes cash bookings that is
> secured via a credit card number.
>
> How can I safely safe credit card details in MySQL ? or any other sensitive
> information ? encryption ??

There is no particular security problem with MySQL. The security problem
comes from the question - what other access is there to the box?

Does it run any other service? What interfaces are available to MySQL?

If it's on a box that is publicly accessable the answer is: don't.

Encryption wont help a whole lot if you need to recover the data from the
database as the key is likely to be in your scripts.

> Also, any online transaction clearing companies that you lot worked with
> that is good ? Anyone worked with WorldPay ?

I wrote the perl module: Business::WorldPay::Junior

Worldpay is very good.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk