[Gllug] Small installation

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 13:08:06 UTC 2003

Tethys <tet at accucard.com> writes:

> Richard Jones writes:
>
> >As for <120 MB ... you could be in for a hard time. I never had a full
> >Linux running in such a limited space even back in the original
> >Slackware-on-30-floppies days. Is it not possible to fish out a
> >second-hand hard drive and plug it in?
>
> *Cough* My first Linux install was onto IIRC an 8MB partition. My first
> full install was in 10MB (MCC), and then onto 60MB (Slackware, via many
> time consuming floppies). It was not only possible, but commonplace in
> those days to run with less than 100MB.

Well, when I had a 12MB/240MB thinkpad, I used RedHat on that. I even
had the Ada compiler running on it - and that was slow (fortunately, I
was on holiday, so "hit compile, go for beer" was actually a viable
option...)

> Today, of course, the RH base
> install alone (with no extra packages installed) is many times bigger
> than that -- one of the reasons why I believe RH to be unsuitable for
> public facing server use. It's fine as an internal server, but there's
> way too much unnecessary crap to make it visible to the net...

So is there a distribution without these flaws? I've poked several of
the small-looking ones, but either they say "slow X" or they want to
build from source (on a pentium-100 - yeah, right) or they are *too*
small...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk