[Gllug] AppleDouble file?

Branden Faulls bfaulls at omphe.com
Thu Jun 5 18:17:14 UTC 2003

Richard Jones wrote:
> rich at arctor:/tmp$ file BIRTHDAY*
> BIRTHDAY:    AppleDouble encoded Macintosh file
> BIRTHDAY2:   AppleDouble encoded Macintosh file
>
> Any idea what the heck I can do with these files on my Debian box?
>
> Rich.

Unless you are running netatalk to network your Debian box to an
Apple/Macintosh network, then you can do whatever you like with them.
They are the resource portion of a file that the Mac filesystem uses.
Apple splits the binary and resource portion into two distinct parts and
the AppleDouble bit is Linux creating a relevant resource for your *nix
files, so that they can be accessed by a Mac.

Branden

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk