[Gllug] Best format, for everyone, for saving documents.

Colin Murphy Colin at ColinMurphy.me.uk
Sun Jun 15 17:32:51 UTC 2003

SuSE are soon to have on the market their SuSE Linux Desktop product which
goes to great lengths to maintain compatibility with their Microsoft
counterparts. I hope that this will really produce some diversity in the
desktop market

Imagine, if you will, a world where all of the world's desktop users try to
pull together, be they Linux or Microsoft. Which document format should
everyone be using to make sure that the recipient can use the document with
the minimum of fuss, regardless of the system they are using?

In the real world Microsoft users are going to say .doc files, obviously.
StarOffice seems to be guilty of the same crime by defaulting to .sdx. I
appreciate that .sdx is an Open format but will a Microsoft product ever read
such a file without fuss?

Is there another, happier, more middle ground format to use?

Is there any reason why we couldn't all just start using RTF?

--
Colin Murphy - A man for all seasons, especially pepper.
Colin at ColinMurphy.me.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk