[Gllug] bootable cd testing

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Tue Jun 3 12:47:58 UTC 2003

> > I need a bootable cd that'll stress test a harddrive, and do
> > diagnostics... So I'm gonna give FIRE http://fire.dmzs.com/?section=main
> > and knoppix a try.. does anyone recommend any other tools, and
> > specifically any way to test a HDD other than 'cat /dev/urandom >
> > /dev/hda' ?

For testing hard drive performance, if you really want to go to town use
Bonnie++
(I agree though that hdparm would probably be sufficient).

http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/
Or Bonnie http://www.textuality.com/bonnie/

Bonnie++ does some heavy duty filesystem and hard drive tests.
I once got my knuckles rapped for running a Bonnie++ test on an AFS
filesystem via
a network client at CERN. Over a 10Mbps link...on a hub no less... which
everyone else
in the building was using...
I very quickly quit the test and ran it on a machine on the same 100Mbps
switch as the target host.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk