[Gllug] Best format, for everyone, for saving documents.

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Jun 16 06:56:10 UTC 2003

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Colin Murphy wrote:

> Imagine, if you will, a world where all of the world's desktop users try to
> pull together, be they Linux or Microsoft. Which document format should
> everyone be using to make sure that the recipient can use the document with
> the minimum of fuss, regardless of the system they are using?
>
> In the real world Microsoft users are going to say .doc files, obviously.
> StarOffice seems to be guilty of the same crime by defaulting to .sdx. I
> appreciate that .sdx is an Open format but will a Microsoft product ever read
> such a file without fuss?
>
> Is there another, happier, more middle ground format to use?
>
> Is there any reason why we couldn't all just start using RTF?

You could also ask why not use ASCII.

The same problem exists for both - that users will insist upon embedding
objects into their document that require some form of extended document
format.

Some form of XML is probably best for cross platform compatibility -
except that companies insist upon using compression and closed binary
extensions.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign up now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk