[Gllug] One more time...

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 07:21:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003, Tethys moaned:
> Actually, most of my complaints with Java are about the implementation[1]
> rather than the language itself -- although I agree it's in dire need
> of a macro system. I doubt it's likely to get one, though -- they're
> touting its absence as a selling point...

`This language can't adapt to new abstractions well! Use it now!'

(No, I've never understood the benefits of that, either. I suppose it
seems like a benefit to people whose only exposure to macros has been
the horrible cpp, but why the bunch of old Lispers behind Java fell into
that trap I shall never know.)

> [1] The ability to debug it when it goes wrong being the major problem
>     I'm hitting at the moment.

`Java: write once, crash the VM everywhere.'

--
`It is an unfortunate coincidence that the date locarchive.h was
 written (in hex) matches Ritchie's birthday (in octal).'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk