[Gllug] Redhat / Debian / X reversion

James de Lurker jtl2nospamMUNGIEjump at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 7 15:44:47 UTC 2003

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 15:32:57 +0100  Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 01:47:02PM +0100, James de Lurker wrote:
>>On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 10:40:59 +0100 (BST) Chris Bell wrote:

[..]
>>Tripwire won't be a choice for Debian I presume - so what does the team
>>recommend as a viable alternative here?

> IIRC, tripwire runs fine on debian (although I haven't used it for some
> time).  Why would it not?

Oh sorry - thoughts here were tied up with "form" rather than function. I
don't doubt that Tripwire would live and work well in Deb - the "form"
was a fear that the license conditions would not make it acceptable as a
"standard" part of Debian.

>>   Is it possible to setup Debian installation so that you get a complete
>>audit trail of what you have done throughout this process? [..]

> The screens that are presented to you can also (optionally) be emailed to
> you as well or instead.

Nice.

> Also, read up on the dpkg-reconfigure command.  Actually, in general, debian
> documentation is very comprehensive, so it might be worth reading or at
> least skimming some of it.

Have already browsed the debian website at length on a number of occasions;
nothing like a "live fire" test, so I'll bite and try an install sometime
soon. That is probably the best way to learn. Luckily I have a custom box
with removeable SCSI and IDE drive bays, which made it easier when I was
designing for custom kickstart built boxes a few years back. No excuse.
All I have is time...

>>Later RedHat installers do provide a template kickstart file, and lists
>>of installed rpms / installer choices.
>>What comparable installed package/selection info is created by Debian's
>>installer(s)?

> "dpkg --get-selections" and "dpkg --set-selections" are probably what you're
> after.  There's also FAI (http://tuovi.cern.ch/~ajt/docs/fai_demo.html)
> which is more like kickstart.  Again, it's all in the documentation.  :-)

Cheers. This useful exchange suggests that maybe a Debian primer for RedHat
Bods might be a useful FAQ type of thing to have around as an inertia
dumping system :-)

I'm a lot happier about the prospects of changing over. Thanks guys.

--

   -- James

 From and Reply To are INVALID.

All public postings use munged headers[1]- To contact me off list:
   1) Remove "M U N G I E j u m p" ONLY: leave that "nospam" in there!
   2) change "hotmail" 2 "myrealbox" after the @

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk