[Gllug] Gnome Question

Simon Morris simon.morris at penguinit.com
Mon Mar 10 12:06:42 UTC 2003

Mick Farmer said:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm running RH 8.0 and Gnome.  Does anyone know how to add
> an item to a Gnome menu?

Hey Mick,

I'm sure someone has the "correct" way of doing this, and there is a good
HOW-TO somewhere (I'll dig it out and post it tonight) but the quick and
dirty way is.....

As root go to /usr/share/applications

If for example you want to add an item to the Internet menu do a grep for
one of the existing items in there...

[root at wt-linux-01 applications]# ls -l | grep gaim
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          181 Sep  5  2002 net-gaim.desktop

You can then copy the net-gaim.desktop file to a new file name appropiate
for the item you want to add, and edit the file.

The main items in the file to edit are

Name=
Comment=
Exec= --- which is the executable file to run
Icon= --- which is the icon to show in the menu. Looks in
/usr/share/pixmaps  I think.

The Catergories value is interesting. Gnome generates the menus by
searching through the files in the /usr/share/applications folder and
showing all the items that match the Catergories value. Kinda like a
database search string.

The other place to have a poke in is /etc/X11/desktop-menus which
describes the structure of the menu rather than the items inside.

I'll post the URL of the HOW-TO tonight if I find it

HTH

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk