[Gllug] Restating my problem

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 21:08:59 UTC 2003

Adrian McMenamin wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 11:21, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>

>>If someone wanted to learn how mail systems work, I'd contend that
>>they'd be far better of with Exim, where they'd have to build the
>>system themselves and see its structure laid out clearly in the config
>>file, than with Sendmail where they would have to learn the arcana that
>>has accreted in its complex structure.
>>
>>--
>>Bruce
>>
>>I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.
>>

>None of this really takes me any closer to solving my problem - are
>there no RH 8 users out there?!! - but I've ordered the O'Reilly
>sendmail book. So I'll see if that fixes my problem.
>
>Adrian

I would look at the following options. (I am another user who replaces
sendmail with exim on every RH box as standard.)

does the file /var/spool/mail/Adrian exist?

Are the permissions correct?

Ensure it is not a symlink.

add another user and test that user to see if a user with fresh
permissions works okay.

have a look at the output from the debugging options that have been
suggested, I have not seen any of these errors posted.

try to re-install the sendmail package using the --replacefiles option
to ensure that nothing has been corrupted in the meantime.

ensure that you do not have other files that might cause problems in
your user directory such as .forward or .procmailrc etc

is there another user adrian on the system as mail sees both users as
the same, email is case-insensitive

 From the emails that I have seen earlier it seems that the sendmail
server was running as localhost.localdomain.  If it sees this as the
local domain then this may be in conflict with the domain that it has
been set to receive in /etc/mail/local-domains.  The reason I guess this
happens is as a result of sendmail trying to work out the hostname from
the /etc/hosts file and seeing localhost.localdomain as the first
entry.  This can be corrected by telling sendmail explicitly what the
hostname should be and ensuring that sendmail is listening on all
interfaces instead of the default 127.0.0.1 in Red Hat.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk