[Gllug] Downright fun

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 11:57:26 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, 5 Mar 2003, Doug Winter wrote:
>You have completed nethack without using wizard mode?

I don't like to brag, but - what am I saying? I love to brag. Without
using wizard mode, explore mode, save-scumming (copying of save files
so that death is not final), modifying the source to my advantage,
exploiting known bugs, or any technique generally supposed by the
player community to be abusive, I have beaten NetHack 13 times, at
least twice in every major version between 3.1.x and 3.4.x. This does
represent going on ten years of play - it's possible, but it'll never
be easy - especially when you take into account the way that different
classes provide varying challenge; by now I could ascend a Valkyrie
without too much trouble, but instead I play Tourists and Healers
because those most difficult classes are the ones I have not succeeded
with.

I am not atypical; looking at rec.games.roguelike.nethack one can see
that many people have ascended, and YAFAPs (first ascension posts) are
weekly occurrences. A lot of people - better players than me - now
find the interest is in "challenge" games - pacifists kill no
monsters; "naked" players wear no armour; players forgo wishes,
polypiling of objects, genocide scrolls, or rings of conflict (I do
the latter); atheists do not pray or use altars; vegetarians and
vegans do as you might expect, and "foodless" players spurn all food
(yes, it _is_ possible); and so forth.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk