[Gllug] Re: Gllug digest, Vol 1 #2667 - 14 msgs

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 23:24:19 UTC 2003

> From: "Hong Chyr" <chyryh at linuxmail.org>
> To: gllug at linux.co.uk
> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 00:26:18 +0800
> Subject: [Gllug] Freeserve Anytime with Linux?
>
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone tried using the Freeserve Anytime service with Linux? I've tried their
> helpdesk email, and the replies seemed pretty braindead to me. They
don't answer
> direct questions and seem to just brush the notion of Linux away.
>
> I'd appreciate it if anyone can help on this.
>
> Cheers
> Hong

I've been using FS Anytime for over a year without many problems.
However, you might have problems with their "new improved" setup which
demands that you use Internet Explorer on Windows so that FS can run a
.exe. This is one of the things that really ****es me off about FS.
Unitl recently there were no problems using the manual installation
instructions to simply create your own connection on any machine. Now it
all appears to be a 'doze shop. It's really ridiculous because all this
**** .exe does is setup a phone number and a few standard settings. The
number can easily be copied to your KDE PPP setup but now you're going
to need a 'doze box just to run the idiotic .exe.

One more reason why I'm in the process of waving goodbye to FS. Their
customer "support" has gone from being about the best around in 1998, to
the worst in 2003.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk