[Gllug] Re: [GLUG] Tape Device

Hendrik Visage hvisage at envisage.co.za
Wed Mar 26 11:01:15 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:37:09AM +0100, Neil Fryer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How do I check what dev my tape device is mapped to? As we have a new
> prebuilt box here, and I'm battling, as if I use dmesg, the only thing that
> seems likely to be the tape device is:
>
> scsi0 : cciss0
>   Vendor: COMPAQ    Model: SDX-400C          Rev: 3.0B
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

1) Is the st module compiled into the kernel? if not, have you
loaded it yet?

2) You have loaded/compiled in the necesary SCSI module (Just checking,
 as this happened to me :()

3) Hopefully you are using devfs, in which case (given that the above two
hold), you'll be able to see it under /dev/tapes/tape0/...

 mt - Magnetic tape (rewinding after close)
 mtn - Magnetic tape *NON*rewinding (Needed for appending operations)

 There are someothers which I don't know the exact uses for, but refer to the
st module's documentation ;^)

Hendrik

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk