[Gllug] How can I make sure my email is not treated as spam?

Adrian McMenamin Adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 13:59:35 UTC 2003

I have set up a web server (apache running on a Red Hat 7.3 box) that
allows a small number of people to log in and send emails on to various
addresses - not a commercial or spamming thing (about 5 or 6 emails a
day to various addresses at the moment) - but I am having problems.

First of all the box (which has a static IP address and sits on the end
of leased line, but has no domain assigned to it) - was just
boxname.localhost.

This caused various mail relays to bounce the mail as boxname.localhost
was not a "real" domain.

I then changed the name of the box to mailrelay.myorganisation.org.uk
(names have been changed, but myorganisation.org.uk is a real domain,
but mailrelay is not a "real" subdomain).

This seemed to work for many of the mail relays that were previously
bouncing the emails, but not all.

What can I do to fix this?

I suppose choices I have are:

1. Don't call the box anything - just use the IP address

2. Buy a domain name and run a DNS service to franchise out a subdomain
to the box (scary!!)

Is there any other way of doing this? Is there a good online resource
for this? (I've googled to no avail).

NB: I had a similar problem at home last year - I wanted to use sendmail
to send out my email but most domains bounced email that was said to be
from landslide.localdomain (I am behind a Homechoice NATed server, so
have no real IP address at all). I gave up and continued to use Demon's
POP service.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk